Skip to main content

The love of my Father


First of all I will like to wish a Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers who are there for their children and for those to take care of the ones that love them as if they were their own. Congratulations.

I grew up with my fathers absence due to a few parental issues while I was developing into a young lady. Disregard the absence, I never doubted the love of my father. I used to see him once a year since I grew up in different countries and hours away while he stayed in San Francisco. Weekly phone conversations and typical, "I love you my little princess," quotes from my father helped me through the rough childhood I had growing away from my fathers presence.

Even with the  distance, he was still there in spirit. He has been the man in my life and the one man that will always be the love of my life. I am proud to not only be his Little Princess but also his youngest child. I believe the distance we had while I developed into becoming a woman helped me grow into my fathers love.

After not being able to see my father for 3 years, he finally surprised me on my Sweet 16th Birthday in Fresno,CA. I was thrilled my father came to my special day. The months went by but we continued to communicate like father, like daughter.

Graduation came along and he came to see me. He hugged me and told me that I was his pride and joy for graduating with Honors, scholarships, and not being another high school statistic. I went into my college journey to Santa Barbara and still maintain my strong communication with my father. I was able to transfer to SFSU and had the opportunity to live with him in Palo Alto, CA. Living with my father was interesting. I had never spend more than 24 hours with my father and sharing the same roof was quite fun. I learned that we are both morning bees, need coffee to function, and always dress up even just to go for a walk. Now I know where I get my fancy habits from; I am just like my father.

The years went by and we continued the tradition to always have dinner on Sundays. We will hit the hot spots in San Francisco and Palo Alto,CA. From the Wax Museum to the botanic gardens in the area. Every Sunday was fathers day in my book.

My career journey brought me back to Fresno,CA. but that didn't change me. We still had the same communication and to this day he still calls me on a daily basis to know how am I doing. My papa has aged and gotten a little weaker physically but in my eyes, he is still strong and confident. I try to see him  every month when I go to the bay area. I count every minute when I see my father because we never know when God can take them into heaven.

I have been spending the past 5 years on Fathers Day with my papa. This Fathers Day was a little bitter sweet. I got to spend Sunday with my papa. I took him for dinner and got him the simple gifts he always loved. We had the talk of life, death, and success.

No matter how old I get, I will always be there for my father. I promised him that one day he will live with me and I will take care of him till the end. I plan on keeping my word just like he kept his on getting me my first car and helping me in my education. Disregard in the ups and downs in life, I stayed true to myself because I don't want to disappoint my father and I want to continue to be proud of who I am at my age. One thing is for sure, the love of my Father never changed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Hustlers', the glitter, power, and money showers.

By Gardenia Zuniga-Haro Oh Jennifer Lopez; that body at fifty years old and Ramona's performance inspired me to hit the gym and get a pole in my living room. The first fifteen minutes of the movie are every man's fantasy performance although I have been to a few different gentlemen's clubs in San Francisco and neither performances I have ever seen compared to Ramona's opening act. Ramona's opening performance for Hustlers was jaw dropping! (Photo credit-BARBARA NITKE/STXfilms)  The glitter, power, and money showers delivered in the beginning caught my full attention although  I felt some scenes and actors where unnecessary in the film. I get it, the film was portraying the life of Samantha Barbash which was a self made hustler in New York city but I felt it wasn't worth the hype. I first heard of the movie while indulging on an episode of Wendy Williams where she mentioned a movie based on New York City strippers who scammed men was in pr

A Life Changing Summer

Summer time is all about the sun kissed beach days, pool parties with floating flamingos, and camp trips with the family but for me; Summer time was tragic! My summer started like any other,  filled with plans to visit my family and have fun under the sun but things took a tragic turn towards the end. The sunny summer I was living became a thunder storm as I received the worst Direct Message anyone could open via Instagram. It was my best friends little sister informing me that Gaby, whom I  loved like a sister had passed away that morning! I immediately thought it was a bad joke but my sky became dark and heavy as the thunder of truth arrived with the terrible news. Just like any storm, lighting stroked me as I answered the call that changed my life forever! Gabys mother, Myra was crying which such devastation that when she said, "Gaby passed away mija", I couldn't say anything other than, "No, no no! This is not happening!" I was in denial but hea

Surviving the Independence!

I came to San Francisco five years ago with the dream to be independent, discover myself, and one day tell my grandchildren, "Your abuelita once lived in San Francisco." I made the big move when I was twenty-three years old and somehow those five years where a roller coaster of every fucking thing you can imagine living in a big city is worth. Now I am approaching the end of my twenties and  I can surely say I have earned my stripes living in this city. My first week in the city I was scammed for my apartment and  lost 3k.  I ended up living in my car for a few nights under the bay bridge intersection because I  refused to go back home.  I attended an over priced art school and after a year decided,  this isn't for me. Yes, I am an art school drop out but ironically I have a career compared to a few of my fellow art school buddies who graduated with honors. I lived in many places in the city in the five years I survived. From sharing rooms, renting a closet, and get