Skip to main content

Arab women with Rebellion


When you hear the terms Arab women and Rebellion, whats the first thing that comes to mind? Trouble in the Middle East right?

I must say, not all Arabs are terrorist or trouble makers but if we have to rebel towards our rights, why not. I do not live in the Middle East but coming from such back ground, I am rebelling against my culture by working in the media industry. My Arab family is ashamed and some what proud of my accomplishments at my age. I have been told that I will never find a great Arab man who will want a woman who is desired by the media audience because in his eyes; I live in Haram!

Lets be honest, everyone is a sinner in some kind of way. No one is HOLY and if they claim they are then they are ignorants!

I am an Arab woman who lives with Rebellion because despite the rules, and criticism; I will continue my career as a producer and talent. Yes, Hollywood comes with temptation but in reality; what doesn't these days. I do not wear my Hijab all the time, nor cover my entire body but I always keep modesty. I was raised with both Middle Eastern and Hispanic values as a woman. I know what is wrong and what can cause harm. Either way, its my body and I can rebel to which ever rule I break in my own terms.

There is a role model in the industry who I highly respect. She is known for her controversial music videos that make and impact in the Arab community. M.I.A. stands for "Missing In Action".  She is a young female artist who was born in England but has Middle Eastern and Sri Lankan origins. One of her latest music videos caught my attention on her rebellion.  "Bad Girls," is an interesting song. She targets the governments issues in most of her songs but this one is about women's rights to drive in Saudi Arabia. I must say, this music video is very controversial with the wardrobe, ethics, and scenes of women rebelling to drive in the Middle East. I actually enjoyed this music video. It was very bold to film in forbidden territory and how the women performed.

I want to direct more music videos and artist like her inspire me to take risk when filming. I have a few controversial scripts that will make me the "Queen of Haram," but life is all about taking risk.  I believe Arab women with rebellion don't cause harm but defiantly can cause Haram.


This is apparently  my Rebellion as an Arab woman. I do wear partly my Hijab but when its studio time, I have to dress like its asked as long as I am comfortable. At the end of the day; doesn't matter what I do, I am still considered a sinner so might as well focus in my career.


This was the M.I.A. video I was referring too. Enjoy everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Hustlers', the glitter, power, and money showers.

By Gardenia Zuniga-Haro Oh Jennifer Lopez; that body at fifty years old and Ramona's performance inspired me to hit the gym and get a pole in my living room. The first fifteen minutes of the movie are every man's fantasy performance although I have been to a few different gentlemen's clubs in San Francisco and neither performances I have ever seen compared to Ramona's opening act. Ramona's opening performance for Hustlers was jaw dropping! (Photo credit-BARBARA NITKE/STXfilms)  The glitter, power, and money showers delivered in the beginning caught my full attention although  I felt some scenes and actors where unnecessary in the film. I get it, the film was portraying the life of Samantha Barbash which was a self made hustler in New York city but I felt it wasn't worth the hype. I first heard of the movie while indulging on an episode of Wendy Williams where she mentioned a movie based on New York City strippers who scammed men was in pr

A Life Changing Summer

Summer time is all about the sun kissed beach days, pool parties with floating flamingos, and camp trips with the family but for me; Summer time was tragic! My summer started like any other,  filled with plans to visit my family and have fun under the sun but things took a tragic turn towards the end. The sunny summer I was living became a thunder storm as I received the worst Direct Message anyone could open via Instagram. It was my best friends little sister informing me that Gaby, whom I  loved like a sister had passed away that morning! I immediately thought it was a bad joke but my sky became dark and heavy as the thunder of truth arrived with the terrible news. Just like any storm, lighting stroked me as I answered the call that changed my life forever! Gabys mother, Myra was crying which such devastation that when she said, "Gaby passed away mija", I couldn't say anything other than, "No, no no! This is not happening!" I was in denial but hea

Surviving the Independence!

I came to San Francisco five years ago with the dream to be independent, discover myself, and one day tell my grandchildren, "Your abuelita once lived in San Francisco." I made the big move when I was twenty-three years old and somehow those five years where a roller coaster of every fucking thing you can imagine living in a big city is worth. Now I am approaching the end of my twenties and  I can surely say I have earned my stripes living in this city. My first week in the city I was scammed for my apartment and  lost 3k.  I ended up living in my car for a few nights under the bay bridge intersection because I  refused to go back home.  I attended an over priced art school and after a year decided,  this isn't for me. Yes, I am an art school drop out but ironically I have a career compared to a few of my fellow art school buddies who graduated with honors. I lived in many places in the city in the five years I survived. From sharing rooms, renting a closet, and get