Skip to main content

Surviving the Independence!

I came to San Francisco five years ago with the dream to be independent, discover myself, and one day tell my grandchildren, "Your abuelita once lived in San Francisco."

I made the big move when I was twenty-three years old and somehow those five years where a roller coaster of every fucking thing you can imagine living in a big city is worth. Now I am approaching the end of my twenties and  I can surely say I have earned my stripes living in this city.

My first week in the city I was scammed for my apartment and  lost 3k.  I ended up living in my car for a few nights under the bay bridge intersection because I  refused to go back home.  I attended an over priced art school and after a year decided,  this isn't for me. Yes, I am an art school drop out but ironically I have a career compared to a few of my fellow art school buddies who graduated with honors.

I lived in many places in the city in the five years I survived. From sharing rooms, renting a closet, and getting woken up in the middle of the night because your roommates are having an earthquake in their room, I  can say I have lived it all.  One thing all of the lessons I have experienced was that, I became a fucking independent woman in San Francisco.

There was times I felt like packing my bags and doing the three hour drive of shame back home when I felt like giving up; but then I reminded myself that I moved to San Francisco with a fucking dream. The dream to live in the big city and creating my own story of independence.

I  have done almost everything you can imagine while living in the city. From partying late till the morning sun to working three jobs to pay rent, tuition, and have food on my plate. Been there, done that, and I fucking survived.

Many times I had my family call me crazy for not wanting to leave such an expensive city. I missed out on perhaps buying my house before thirty, getting married, or better yet starting a family like many of my loved ones have back home however, I do not regret it.

    Living in the city is a lifestyle that I can claim to own.



I wake up everyday around 5 A.M. and get ready for a new exciting day. Everyday in San Francisco is an adventure.

 Either walking down Market street and hearing artist play to the melody of the city to seeing what is the newest development in every district. I tend to always find something new in every corner that makes me appreciate the struggle to live in the city.


I live in Bernal Heights which tends to be one of the cutest neighborhoods in the city. I make the   daily commute to Nob Hill for work everyday. Working in downtown is quite the adventure. Yes, I tend to look around to make sure I do not step on needles or better yet see another homeless person over dose but that's just one of the hiccups on this city.

As I have developed a career as a publicist and better income, I have learned to enjoy living in the big city even more. I go to various work out classes like Pilates and boxing on a weekly which is something I will have never done back home. I tend to use public transit on a daily and enjoy walking around the Mission district and check out the bookstores.

This routine is something I would off never done back home in Fresno.I had to be out of my comfort zone and struggle my first few years to have the lifestyle I now have.

Not everyday feels like I am walking on a rainbow and  somehow end up finding the pot of gold. Trust me, I've had my share of cloudy days but I would never change my life in the city for anything in the world.

I sometimes feel like I am the San Francisco Latina version of Samantha Jones form Sex in the City.

I am a publicist, single as hell, and enjoy the big city lifestyle. We have many things in common including the snacking culture.

Sadly I can say that in the five years I have been in San Francisco, I have witness the gentrification in the city. It has also affected me. Rents keep getting higher than the highest hill in the city and the dream of me owning a home is fading away. Finding a partner is nowhere near my life vision and having a family is a fantasy that somehow  is starting to feel like   fading Thinker bell that deep inside is starting to become fantasy dust.

Last year I was coming to the conclusion that I needed to find a new city to call home. I was selling myself the vision to move to Sin City to start a new life, buy a house, and hopefully find my soulmate. As the date got closer to my moving day I became more nostalgic and I realized that my vision in San Francisco has not been fulfilled.

Every time I look at this skyline, I became more nostalgic on moving out of San Francisco.


There is so much for me to explore, experience, and do in this city.

I try to walk the streets of the city after work everyday and even though I see the impact of the gentrification specially in the Mission District, I believe my presence has an impact in the community.

I recently sat down with Manny Yekutiel, the founder of Manny's. While we both shared our stories,  we realized we have a lot of work to do to unite the Mission Districts' diverse groups but we also have earned our stripes in the city. Meeting him was refreshing but also motivated me to continue to work harder to try to make an impact in our community.

I believe I can unite divided communities that are trying to survive in the Mission District and develop relationships with the platforms I am currently working with. My voice can be heard and powerful and I intend to use it.

This city has so much more potential than working for a start up and being a software engineer.  No shade if you represent either. Just because I am a writer and make half of their income doesn't mean I do not matter. I have meet so many incredible artist, musicians, and hungry people like me who love this city and are willing to stay and make San Francisco their permanent home.

San Francisco is so unique with many possibilities to explore. There is something new to discover in every district and you can't beat the sunsets with the reflection of the pacific coast.

Sutro Baths has the most stunning and romantic sunsets in the entire city.


This is the city of freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and even though it comes with an expensive price tag; nothing will change the fact that I feel free walking down the streets of San Francisco with my bohemian dress, leather boots, backpack, and no one will make fun of my appearance.

I am free to dress as bohemian and colorful as I please in this city.


This city represents  freedom to me even if it comes with a heavy price point, personal sacrifices, and limited adventures; I will never change living in the city for anything in the world. This is my home and I have survived the independence.


There is something oddly wicked, unique, and beautiful of this view that reminds me why I feel in love with San Francisco.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Hustlers', the glitter, power, and money showers.

By Gardenia Zuniga-Haro Oh Jennifer Lopez; that body at fifty years old and Ramona's performance inspired me to hit the gym and get a pole in my living room. The first fifteen minutes of the movie are every man's fantasy performance although I have been to a few different gentlemen's clubs in San Francisco and neither performances I have ever seen compared to Ramona's opening act. Ramona's opening performance for Hustlers was jaw dropping! (Photo credit-BARBARA NITKE/STXfilms)  The glitter, power, and money showers delivered in the beginning caught my full attention although  I felt some scenes and actors where unnecessary in the film. I get it, the film was portraying the life of Samantha Barbash which was a self made hustler in New York city but I felt it wasn't worth the hype. I first heard of the movie while indulging on an episode of Wendy Williams where she mentioned a movie based on New York City strippers who scammed men was in pr

A Life Changing Summer

Summer time is all about the sun kissed beach days, pool parties with floating flamingos, and camp trips with the family but for me; Summer time was tragic! My summer started like any other,  filled with plans to visit my family and have fun under the sun but things took a tragic turn towards the end. The sunny summer I was living became a thunder storm as I received the worst Direct Message anyone could open via Instagram. It was my best friends little sister informing me that Gaby, whom I  loved like a sister had passed away that morning! I immediately thought it was a bad joke but my sky became dark and heavy as the thunder of truth arrived with the terrible news. Just like any storm, lighting stroked me as I answered the call that changed my life forever! Gabys mother, Myra was crying which such devastation that when she said, "Gaby passed away mija", I couldn't say anything other than, "No, no no! This is not happening!" I was in denial but hea