Skip to main content

'Hustlers', the glitter, power, and money showers.



By Gardenia Zuniga-Haro


Oh Jennifer Lopez; that body at fifty years old and Ramona's performance inspired me to hit the gym and get a pole in my living room.

The first fifteen minutes of the movie are every man's fantasy performance although I have been to a few different gentlemen's clubs in San Francisco and neither performances I have ever seen compared to Ramona's opening act.
Ramona's opening performance for Hustlers was jaw dropping! (Photo credit-BARBARA NITKE/STXfilms) 

The glitter, power, and money showers delivered in the beginning caught my full attention although  I felt some scenes and actors where unnecessary in the film.

I get it, the film was portraying the life of Samantha Barbash which was a self made hustler in New York city but I felt it wasn't worth the hype.

I first heard of the movie while indulging on an episode of Wendy Williams where she mentioned a movie based on New York City strippers who scammed men was in production earlier this year. Little did I know it will be one of Jennifer Lopez most iconic performance besides the It's My Party Tour which I attended earlier this summer.

Back to the hustle, shall we.

The plot twist was unexpected for me since I thought the movie was going to be mainly about strippers pole dancing however, once the drugs came into scene, it was a whole new world.

I must admit, I felt Wu's performance was solid during the entire film. I felt her pain in some scenes as well as her desire to make more money. Part of me wanted to also be a hustler like her although I was expecting a much more pole dancing to be honest. Actually, I think Destiny (Wu) was only on the pole less than five times if she performed like Ramona.

 Keke Palmers performed a gaugable performance (she created "The Gag" comment)  that made me want to be one of her sisters and get guys drunk with her electric performance. Cardi B, well I get it, she wasn't going to outshine Ramona but I expected to see some pole sliding more than Lizzo who on the contrary I enjoyed and will attend her show if she even danced the pole like that again.

Oh wait, can I mentioned G-Eazy wasn't terrible but then, he wasn't as memorable. I expected more Gerald.

 Wu's performance out shined Lopez because I connected with her emotions. She played Roselyn Keo as Destiny in which her performance was a solid A in my book. I expected more sexuality from Destiny in the lap dance scenes but then, Ramona (Lopez) was the star for that category.

Ramona ( Jennifer Lopez) and Destiny ( Constance Wu) both showed that strippers can also have a sisterhood.
(Photo STX Films)

Wu delivered what should be considered an Oscar worthy performance more than Lopez. Yes, Lopez delivered a worthy performance however Wu, I felt a connection with her performance. I felt as was in her shoes or should I say stripper shoes more than Lopez.

Lorene Scafaria did a great job directing since I felt as if I was a hustler too but the soundtrack was a bit too much for my taste in some scenes. The Christmas party scene was too long and cheesy. The cinematography was great throughout the film captivating you to be part of the hustlers lifestyle. Oh and the Usher scene made me wonder if that scene was before or after he caught the herpes situation, "allegedly".  No shame although his scandal broke down a few months after I met him at another film festival in which his photographer tried to lure me into going to their suit to "hang out". No thanks! Also there were way too many songs that weren't necessary on some scenes that made me wonder if this will at some point become a musical.

Word on the street Barbash is coming after J.LO  with a lawsuit for portraying her life story on this film without her consent, allegedly. Well see how that goes meanwhile, she is also about to spill a juicy tell all which might be juicier than the prolonged scenes, than I would rather read her book.

I do wonder if this movie will inspire the dancers that barely made tips last weekend go into a full hustler operation like Ramona and Destiny but in the  meantime, I recommend it for girls night.

Hustlers is Worth the HYPE!

Fun fact about this film, your 'Hustlers' picture can be featured on their website and social media outlets.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving the Independence!

I came to San Francisco five years ago with the dream to be independent, discover myself, and one day tell my grandchildren, "Your abuelita once lived in San Francisco." I made the big move when I was twenty-three years old and somehow those five years where a roller coaster of every fucking thing you can imagine living in a big city is worth. Now I am approaching the end of my twenties and  I can surely say I have earned my stripes living in this city. My first week in the city I was scammed for my apartment and  lost 3k.  I ended up living in my car for a few nights under the bay bridge intersection because I  refused to go back home.  I attended an over priced art school and after a year decided,  this isn't for me. Yes, I am an art school drop out but ironically I have a career compared to a few of my fellow art school buddies who graduated with honors. I lived in many places in the city in the five years I survived. From sharing rooms, renting a closet, and get

A Life Changing Summer

Summer time is all about the sun kissed beach days, pool parties with floating flamingos, and camp trips with the family but for me; Summer time was tragic! My summer started like any other,  filled with plans to visit my family and have fun under the sun but things took a tragic turn towards the end. The sunny summer I was living became a thunder storm as I received the worst Direct Message anyone could open via Instagram. It was my best friends little sister informing me that Gaby, whom I  loved like a sister had passed away that morning! I immediately thought it was a bad joke but my sky became dark and heavy as the thunder of truth arrived with the terrible news. Just like any storm, lighting stroked me as I answered the call that changed my life forever! Gabys mother, Myra was crying which such devastation that when she said, "Gaby passed away mija", I couldn't say anything other than, "No, no no! This is not happening!" I was in denial but hea