Skip to main content

Exploring Down South

By Gardenia Zuniga-Haro

Have you ever wondered what it is like to explore Peru? 

The famous land of the "polladas" (dance parties), endless  seafood ceviche, and non stop "piropos" (compliments) that make you blush.  I got to live all of  the above  for 3 days and it was quite the experience.

First of all, Lima is beautiful.  Just driving up the coastline was breathtaking with the ocean view and the green landscapes of the city line. I stayed in Miraflores district, which is the Beverly hills of Lima.  The locals were nice but the men where even nicer, if you know what I meant with "piropos".

I was blessed to travel to Peru by Grabr who sent me on another wonderful trip. I had 40 people to deliver their gifts who all greeted me with a smile and most of the men with multiple kisses on both cheeks. Everyone received their Grabs by the second day and some of them  even recommended me to hit a few spots in town which I did. Thanks to Grabr I made new friends and I can't wait to go back and deliver more of their Grabs in a few months.

After giving most of my shoppers their Grabs I decided to take a stroll around the district I was residing, Miraflores. Walking the streets of Lima was exciting. Just seeing how fast the city runs with people chasing the bus,  older women gossiping on the bench, and catching a few couples making out on the grass of the central park not caring who saw them in action.

I gotta say, Lima was very opened about their romance. I saw older couples holding hands while kissing each other at the bus stop yet I saw a few younger couples making out against the wall outside the bars before sun rise. I guess I can say I saw people doing "EVERYTHING", without giving too many details.

For my first day in Lima I explored the Miraflores district. I enjoyed ceviche with a Pisco cocktail and the few rays of sun I captured while I walked down the area. I did hear a few "Hola Princesa" piropos  as I crossed the streets and did a little bit of shopping therapy.

Night time came and I decided to check out the night scene. Yes, I went clubbing all by MYSELF!

I strolled down the street with all the bars and decided to check out Son De Cuba Salsoteca. Like they say in Peru, "Me fui de pollada" (I went partying).  I had a few mojitos, ... well  I lost track after 5. Since I was sitting at the bar like a typical tourist observing everyone, I was quite surprised to get  asked to dance by 3 older men a few times. After my third drink, I decided to hit the dance floor to some merengue music. I was wearing a long maxi dress,  hair in a bun with a few loose curls,  and still got hit on by the locals.

The night ended after bar hopping till 4 am and I made it to my hotel room safe and sound.

I woke up to the sun rays caressing my face and realized I needed coffee, and I need more than one cup.  I had breakfast with the astonishing view of the 21st floor over seeing the city and ocean. As I ate my delicious desayuno, I caught myself being fully focused reading the local newspaper and realized, Peru does not like Trump at all. I don't want to ruin this story by getting political but lets just say, Trump is not welcomed in Peru.

I got sun kissed by the Peruvian sun for a few hours by the pool before I decided to hit the Barranco district which a shopper from Grabr had recommended for me to visit. 

I wanted to be more adventurous so I hopped on the bus that said Barranco, hoping I wont get lost.They bus ride was hot and quick. Everyone was sweating but hey its Peru, and it was 100 degrees which felt more like 80 to me since I am not used to the heat anymore. I enjoyed the heat.

I arrived Barranco which is the historic district were the old monuments, vintage restaurants, and murals of revolution lived across the neighborhood. I noticed that Starbucks is a luxury and people enjoy taking naps on the park benches.

It was lunch time and I decided to try the famous Lomo Saltado. The food was amazing but the server was a different story. If you think men in America are annoying when they hit on you, wait till you experience men in Peru. They are aggressive and persistent. My bill came and "Amigo" left his number on my receipt. I ignored because I wasnt there to go on a date, I was there to relax yet during my lunch he kept talking about us hitting the beach together and going dancing that night. No Gracias!

I left the restaurant looking for my next adventure when I hear "Amigo" behind me telling me to take his number as he hands me the receipt with his digits. I kindly rejected his offer and continued to walk down the alley that led to the beach.

I heard from the locals that the private beaches are the best but when I walked down the alley and saw the multitude of people laughing and playing in the public beach; I was amazed. I couldn't believe how many people where in the beach, better yet how happy everyone sounded under the summer heat. Been there made me appreciate the simple things such as children laughing for being splashed by their friends or the DJ who danced with his beer bottle while  the locals joined him to some cumbia music.

As I took a dip of the warm Peruvian ocean, I realized how happy people where with the less they had. I saw children playing with sticks on the sand and adults relaxing while eating their fruit cocktails. No body had their phones out nor ignored each other over a phone call. EVERYONE was engaging within their surroundings which is something I haven't seen back home. Everyone is trying to post the latest Snapchat (I am guilty of that), or strike the hottest selfie without enjoying the simple things in life. 

Exploring down south made me appreciate not having to depend on technology to be entertained nor having to spend too much money to have a relaxing day. I enjoyed eating an ice cream cone that was less than a $1 and walking down the streets of Lima for hours.

 After meeting people who came to Peru as refuge's from other countries such as Venezuela looking for a better life I realize that I need to appreciate the life I have in America more than I do. I returned to America more humbled and even though I do not agree with our government, I am thankful that I still have my freedom and no one takes the food out of my plate or tells me how to dress. I appreciate the simple things in life more and I cant wait to come back and learn more of the people who live in Peru. Exploring down south made me more appreciative of my life in America and I am thankful for that opportunity Grabr gave me.
Public Beach in Lima, Peru.

Native girls taking a picture at Kennedy Park.

Lima's coastline in Miraflores district.

Catching some Peruvian sun rays.

Locals relaxing at Kennedy Park in Miraflores.

Peruvian dancer performing in Barranco's Puente de los Suspiros.

A Peruvian Native selling bread in Barranco.

Enjoying Lomo Saltado with Grabr.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Hustlers', the glitter, power, and money showers.

By Gardenia Zuniga-Haro Oh Jennifer Lopez; that body at fifty years old and Ramona's performance inspired me to hit the gym and get a pole in my living room. The first fifteen minutes of the movie are every man's fantasy performance although I have been to a few different gentlemen's clubs in San Francisco and neither performances I have ever seen compared to Ramona's opening act. Ramona's opening performance for Hustlers was jaw dropping! (Photo credit-BARBARA NITKE/STXfilms)  The glitter, power, and money showers delivered in the beginning caught my full attention although  I felt some scenes and actors where unnecessary in the film. I get it, the film was portraying the life of Samantha Barbash which was a self made hustler in New York city but I felt it wasn't worth the hype. I first heard of the movie while indulging on an episode of Wendy Williams where she mentioned a movie based on New York City strippers who scammed men was in pr

A Life Changing Summer

Summer time is all about the sun kissed beach days, pool parties with floating flamingos, and camp trips with the family but for me; Summer time was tragic! My summer started like any other,  filled with plans to visit my family and have fun under the sun but things took a tragic turn towards the end. The sunny summer I was living became a thunder storm as I received the worst Direct Message anyone could open via Instagram. It was my best friends little sister informing me that Gaby, whom I  loved like a sister had passed away that morning! I immediately thought it was a bad joke but my sky became dark and heavy as the thunder of truth arrived with the terrible news. Just like any storm, lighting stroked me as I answered the call that changed my life forever! Gabys mother, Myra was crying which such devastation that when she said, "Gaby passed away mija", I couldn't say anything other than, "No, no no! This is not happening!" I was in denial but hea

Surviving the Independence!

I came to San Francisco five years ago with the dream to be independent, discover myself, and one day tell my grandchildren, "Your abuelita once lived in San Francisco." I made the big move when I was twenty-three years old and somehow those five years where a roller coaster of every fucking thing you can imagine living in a big city is worth. Now I am approaching the end of my twenties and  I can surely say I have earned my stripes living in this city. My first week in the city I was scammed for my apartment and  lost 3k.  I ended up living in my car for a few nights under the bay bridge intersection because I  refused to go back home.  I attended an over priced art school and after a year decided,  this isn't for me. Yes, I am an art school drop out but ironically I have a career compared to a few of my fellow art school buddies who graduated with honors. I lived in many places in the city in the five years I survived. From sharing rooms, renting a closet, and get