Skip to main content

The Risk Taker

Holiday season is the time where family gathers to eat several plates of turkey or in my family tamales and catch up on their latest achievements or better yet, catch up on the latest chisme,... Right? If you are smiling then you know its true!

For the past 2 years I haven not had an ordinary holiday celebration with my family.  Last year I  thought it was risky to drive to Mexicali, Mexico  from San Francisco to spend the holiday with my grandmother but this year I went over seas all by myself.

I went to Thailand. The land of $2 Pad Thai, fast Tuk Tuk (taxi) rides, and endless exotic temples to admire.

 I was blessed enough to be refereed by a former classmate to a new company named Grabr. My friend Angela  told me how she felt I was perfect for this company. Within 24 hours, I emailed Grabr's Travel Squad manager and not even 2 weeks  since my first interview and I was asked if I could go to Thailand.....ABSOLUTELY!

At first I was hesitant since I have never been alone over seas, specially during the holidays but I made a few arrangements and I took off to Bangkok on Thanksgiving day.

The wait at the airport was  killing me with excitement. I did not even think what would I do once I arrive to Thailand other than I was going there and for free. Yes, I traveled for Free. Thanks Grabr.

The flight was long, almost 19 hours travel time but I took advantage and slept on the flight because I knew that I was not going to get rest once I arrived.

I arrived at 2 am Bangkok's time and I was beyond excited to be there although a bit sticky in my yoga pants due to the humidity.

My cab ride was interesting. The driver was on the opposite side of American cars. As we arrive my hotel I noticed that Bangkok was like the Vegas strip. People walking all night, hookers trying to make their money fast, and city lights that amused my eyes by their colorful designs.

Grabr did an amazing job on making sure I was at a nice resort in which I felt safe even though I could see the lights from the Red Light district down the street. The excitement took over that I didn't care what time it was. I changed to explore the city at its prime time, 3 AM.

I saw the infamous "Lady Boys" trying to get their prey for the night while I ate my fresh pad Thai on the hood of a car across the street. I roamed around the city streets till the sun rise and went back to my room around 6 am to rest for 3 hours before meeting my Grabr shoppers who were excited to received their items.

I was able to meet most of my Grabr's on my first day. Every single person was different. Some where from India, China, and  a few from America who lived in Thailand. They all  had a huge smile when they received their items. Some even hugged me and one of them gave me a ride on his scooter to a temple I wanted to go to. Sadly I wasnt able to go inside the temple since it was closed due to Thailand's kings recent death.

I could see Grabr made a difference in each person including myself. I learned that many people make sacrifices to be where success takes them in life and with Grabr, its easier for them to have a small piece of home from us. Many of them shared how much it meant for them to receive their items and how valuable Grabr is to them.

Even though it was my first trip with Grabr, I could tell I was going to bring happiness to each person one trip at a time.

My two days we short but adventurous. I walked miles through the city, got lost on a alley but found the light when I saw the mango lady who I bought a peeled mango for less than a $1.

I explored all day and night. Walked around town, meet with locals and even took a big risk by going to a club by myself. It was probably not the best idea but I am a risk taker and I kept an eye on my drinks. The DJ played music that came out when I was in middle school (I felt old in there) the drinks weren't strong which was good since I had 4 Long Islands and I was pretty sober.

I continued my second day with 2 hours of sleep. I relaxed at the pool while I meet up with the last few Grabbers who needed to get their items. Each one of them was thrilled and some even invited me to go have dinner at their venues or try cross fit at their gym next time I am in town. Lets say I made great connections with my Bangkok express trip.

My trip was short, adventurous, and tasty. I will never forget taking the wrong turn down the alley with all the brothels while I was looking for food. Walking in the humid rainfall and seeing a elephant walk down the boulevard filled with traffic. It was something I will always cherish in my memories.

I took a risk by going alone but with Grabr, it was possible to explore a new horizon which I truly enjoyed;  Especially by myself.

              This was my first trip with Grabr and I know I have many more to come in which,
                                              "I will leave a smile  one Grab at a time."

My first day of exploring Bangkok with a TukTuk ride.

For more information on Grabr visit


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Hustlers', the glitter, power, and money showers.

By Gardenia Zuniga-Haro Oh Jennifer Lopez; that body at fifty years old and Ramona's performance inspired me to hit the gym and get a pole in my living room. The first fifteen minutes of the movie are every man's fantasy performance although I have been to a few different gentlemen's clubs in San Francisco and neither performances I have ever seen compared to Ramona's opening act. Ramona's opening performance for Hustlers was jaw dropping! (Photo credit-BARBARA NITKE/STXfilms)  The glitter, power, and money showers delivered in the beginning caught my full attention although  I felt some scenes and actors where unnecessary in the film. I get it, the film was portraying the life of Samantha Barbash which was a self made hustler in New York city but I felt it wasn't worth the hype. I first heard of the movie while indulging on an episode of Wendy Williams where she mentioned a movie based on New York City strippers who scammed men was in pr

A Life Changing Summer

Summer time is all about the sun kissed beach days, pool parties with floating flamingos, and camp trips with the family but for me; Summer time was tragic! My summer started like any other,  filled with plans to visit my family and have fun under the sun but things took a tragic turn towards the end. The sunny summer I was living became a thunder storm as I received the worst Direct Message anyone could open via Instagram. It was my best friends little sister informing me that Gaby, whom I  loved like a sister had passed away that morning! I immediately thought it was a bad joke but my sky became dark and heavy as the thunder of truth arrived with the terrible news. Just like any storm, lighting stroked me as I answered the call that changed my life forever! Gabys mother, Myra was crying which such devastation that when she said, "Gaby passed away mija", I couldn't say anything other than, "No, no no! This is not happening!" I was in denial but hea

Surviving the Independence!

I came to San Francisco five years ago with the dream to be independent, discover myself, and one day tell my grandchildren, "Your abuelita once lived in San Francisco." I made the big move when I was twenty-three years old and somehow those five years where a roller coaster of every fucking thing you can imagine living in a big city is worth. Now I am approaching the end of my twenties and  I can surely say I have earned my stripes living in this city. My first week in the city I was scammed for my apartment and  lost 3k.  I ended up living in my car for a few nights under the bay bridge intersection because I  refused to go back home.  I attended an over priced art school and after a year decided,  this isn't for me. Yes, I am an art school drop out but ironically I have a career compared to a few of my fellow art school buddies who graduated with honors. I lived in many places in the city in the five years I survived. From sharing rooms, renting a closet, and get